We were heading to NJ to visit friends for lunch and spend the day. This was the perfect time to experiment with pot holder design. Plus, they love to cook. It was late-ish saturday night and my initial thought was normal square potholders, but K’m not normal so why not round? Way more fun.
I had just made my first batch of bias tape and was pretty excited to use that. I picked out the rest of the materials to compliment the navy with white polka dots.
Here’s what I did. Traced the lid of my 2 quart saucepan onto some freezer paper. I used 1 layer of the heat-resistant batting + two layers of cotton batting on either side. (I will have to get some feedback on wether or not these are heat proof enough.) And a single layer of 100% cotton fabric for the front and back. Layered everything together pinned in a couple of spots and did my top stitching-quilting. I used a piece of freezer paper as a guide for the lines. then I added the bias tape around the edge with a little loop for hanging. Not the best sewing in the world, but it will do.
They were so excited about the potholders… and it was great timing as they were in the market for a new pair. Their old ones went right in the trash. Very satisfying all around.
I really love the result. It needs a little tweaking, but overall a good first go.