I've been reading a blog regularly about DIY kids clothes. But hadn't gotten around to making anything just yet. But a new pattern was released last week and it is super cute. You will have to wait for the big reveal later this week. For now I will share my excitement with rediscovering fabric dye. Wow. Game changer. Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's back track. One of the materials for this project is cotton ribbing. You know the stuff that makes the collar or cuffs on your t-shirts. Trouble is they had a sad selection of cotton ribbing at the local Joann Fabrics. I knew I could reuse something I had at home. so I dug thru my stash and found a couple of ribbed tank tops. Wasn't super excited but they would work. But then I remember that Lancaster Creative Reuse was open.
Lancaster Creative Reuse is the happiest place on earth. Well at least within 5 miles of my house. It's a thrift store just for craft materials. It's great. There is all kinds of stuff and I like to go and see what they have bundled up in the fabric department. It seemed worth it to check if they had what I needed. I hit the jack pot! I got two bundles - one pale yellow and one baby blue. Not great choices but I think the total for these two (BIG) pieces was about $3.
And then the light went on! I have some old Rit dye from a project I never got to. So while the lad took his morning nap I fired up the stove and dyed two batches. I could not be happier with the result. It does help to know a little bit of color theory 101. For example you can't turn yellow into blue, but you can turn it into green. I should add that my friend Amy makes these super amazing costumes each spring for a local ballet school in Long Island City. She does these on a shoe string budget and lots of times the best solution is to dye material she already has. Anyway... she was my inspiration. Oh and I just followed the instructions on the Rit packaging. I did it on my stove top as the batches were really small.
I set aside two pieces of the yellow, 1 light blue, and 1 blue blue.
I had 1 bottle of aquamarine and 1 box of orange sunshine.
I put a piece of the yellow and light blue in the aquamarine and got a beautiful green and a much livelier blue. Then I put another piece of the yellow and the blue blue in the orange sunshine and I got a great bright orange and a lovely brownish green.
Absolutely thrilled with the results.
I'll get to the bigger project later tonight after the lad goes to bed.